March 6, 2012

When Creativity Calls

People have many opinions on where creativity comes from: the soul, God, muses, the collective unconscious, our own past. I don’t know if any of these are true, maybe they all are. It doesn't matter to me. I’m not sure if my creativity comes from the same place yours does. Are you sure? Do you know where it comes from? All I know is it’s a mystery, and that’s OK with me.

What does matter to me is that I recognize when it’s present. I try to harmonize with it, try to bring forth what it inspires. As a spider spins its incredible web, does it wonder where its inspiration comes from? When bees make their symmetrical combs do they reason why they do it? They do it instinctively. Creativity comes and goes, it’s never constant, and can never be truly controlled. In a strange way it seems to know what it wants. We are but its instruments, its orchestra.  If we reject it, or in other ways fail to recognize when it calls on us, we miss out on participating in a fantastic adventure!      

No comments:

Post a Comment